This workshop emphasizes the grade-level-appropriate content, classroom strategies, diagnostic assessment practices, and technology that help students understand rate. You will learn highly effective classroom activities and how content, pedagogy, and embedded assessment can help shape the mathematics curriculum. Specific topics include absolute and relative growth, instantaneous rate, and rate of change.
Length: 1 day
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Embed diagnostic assessment of students’ grasp of, and their ability to apply, their understanding of rates.
- Understand connections between the presentation of rate concepts throughout the curriculum.
- Provide students with opportunities to engage in active questioning, analysis, construction, and communication of mathematics.
- Explore pedagogical strategies to uncover what students know about rates and how they know it.
- Analyze how the concept of rate can be developed throughout the mathematics sequence in a way that allows all students to reach a deeper understanding of the concepts and applications associated with rate.