This workshop will give you strategies for analyzing and synthesizing nontext sources in middle school history and geography classrooms. You will examine models of questioning for works of art, cartoons, quantitative data, and photographs. You will learn to use these models to promote student skills in source analysis, evaluation, and synthesis.
Length: 1 day
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the benefits and obstacles of visual materials.
- Improve students’ thinking and writing skills through visual and graphic analysis.
- Improve students’ analytical writing.
- Examine and apply cartoon analysis techniques in middle grade classrooms.
- Examine and apply chart/graph analysis techniques in middle grade classrooms.
- Examine and apply photograph analysis techniques in middle grade classrooms.