In this workshop for middle and high school teachers, you will be given tools to teach writing on demand, paraphrasing, and summarizing. In addition, you will develop strategies for analyzing visual and written material. The workshop incorporates hands-on activities that will enable you to experience the subject matter from a student’s perspective and help you apply these new strategies to your classroom practice.
Length: 1 day
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply various approaches to teaching composition.
- Develop research-based strategies for teaching college-level writing and analytical skills.
- Identify reading and writing skill sets students need to become successful writers.
- Teach paraphrasing and writing a summary.
- Teach an author’s purpose, intended audience and goals.
- Analyze an author’s language.
- Transfer new strategies to classroom practice.