This workshop gives middle and high school teachers the tools to strengthen an AP® Vertical Team and to align curriculum vertically across grade levels within the English discipline. You and fellow Vertical Team members will examine the components of good text analysis and the connections between how students read and how effectively they write. Through the implementation and vertical articulation of concrete strategies, you will gain a deeper understanding of the knowledge and skills students need in college-level courses.
Length: 1 or 2 days
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Align instructional strategies in the English curriculum in order to improve students’ reading and writing skills and prepare them for AP and college-level work.
- Implement strategies to improve students’ abilities to analyze a text by:
- Developing a core vocabulary with which to analyze text.
- Exploring distinct levels of text analysis that draw upon spatial/conceptual, verbal, or linguistic thinking.
- Apply strategies to improve students’ ability to transition between close reading and effective writing.
- Create an action plan for developing and sustaining an AP Vertical Team.