Welcome, AP teachers! Here you'll find resources for teaching AP Computer Science A, including engaging instructional materials, sample exam questions, and current course information.
Essential Course Resources
AP Computer Science A Course Description, Effective Fall 2014
Note: The Course Overview and Course Description will be updated with the new 2016 exam timing later this fall.
Course Overview (.pdf/1.3MB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/800KB)
- AP Computer Science Teacher's Guide (.pdf/2.0MB)
Other Core Resources
- AP Computer Science A Frequently Asked Questions
- The AP Computer Science A Lab Requirement
- AP Course Audit Syllabus Submission for AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Development Committee
AP Exam Information and Resources
- AP Computer Science A Exam Information
- AP Computer Science A Exam Tips
- Calculator Policies (.pdf/152KB)
- Free AP Computer Science A Practice Exam
- Free 1999 AP Computer Science Released Exam
- GridWorld Case Study (2008 AP Computer Science Exams)
- Multiple Choice Section Scoring Change
- 2014 AP Computer Science A Exam Appendix - Java Quick Reference (.pdf/50K)
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
From Your AP Colleagues
Inheritance and Polymorphism Teaching Units
Course Content — Related Articles
- Current Events in the Computer Science Classroom
- The Model-View-Controller Pattern
- Ethical Issues: Internet Content Providers and Internet Service Providers
- Taking the AP Computer Science Exams: A Letter to Students
- Attracting Students to Computer Science
- Teaching with Tiger: Using Java 5.0 Features in AP Computer Science Courses
- Securing Resources for Your Program Through Partnerships
- eXtreme Programming
- APCS: Role-Playing in the Classroom
- The 'Write' Tool for Introductory Computer Science Courses
- Supporting Girls in CS by Programming with Graphics
- And On to Java
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of teaching resources, including textbooks, Web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June — August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Computer Science A. These workshops, at different sites throughout the country, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September — April: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Computer Science A.
- To locate upcoming workshops and Summer Institutes and register, visit AP Central Professional Development.
College Board Store