Welcome, AP teachers! This page features the important information and resources you need to implement the AP Spanish Literature and Culture course. The AP Spanish Literature and Culture course supports the formal study of a representative body of literature, written in Spanish. Students have varied opportunities to continue to develop proficiency in Spanish across a range of skills and to reflect on the many voices and cultures of the Spanish-speaking world.
Essential Course Resources
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course Description
Course Overview (.pdf/645KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/2.3MB)
- Fall 2014 Revisions to the Spanish Literature Course and Exam (pdf/109KB)
Details the updates made to the course and exam description in the fall of 2014. These changes included minor adjustments intended to bring the curriculum framework and the AP Exam instructions into better alignment.
AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course Planning and Pacing GuidesWritten by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP Spanish Literature and Culture curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting) and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 1 (.pdf/2MB)
Sandy Williamson, East Chapel Hill High School, NC
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 2 (.pdf/1.5MB)
Stephen D. Johnson, Lake Forest Academy, Il
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 3 (.pdf/1.7MB)
Gilda Nissenberg, Dr. Michael M. Krop High School, FL
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 4 (.pdf/3MB)
Ceida Fernández Figueroa, Baldwin School of Puerto Rico, PR
Other Core Resources
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Glossary Of Literary Terms
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Reading List
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
Details the 2014 reviews and updates to the Standards.
- ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learners
Details the 2012 updates to the document previously known as the Performance Guidelines for K-12 Learners.
- Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century (.pdf/4MB)
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Frequently Asked Questions
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture Development Committee
AP Exam Information and ResourcesThe AP Spanish Literature and Culture Exam assesses proficiency in the Interpretive and Presentational modes of communication and features multiple-choice and free-response questions as described in the AP Spanish Literature and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2012 (.pdf/2MB).
A full Practice Exam is available for all AP Spanish Literature teachers in a secure location. Sign in to your course audit account for access.
AP Course Audit Information
Note: These materials were developed in support of the course before it was redesigned in 2013, but they still provide relevant information for teaching Spanish Literature.
From the College Board
From Your AP Colleagues
- Pre-AP Strategies for "Oda a la alcachofa": A Vivid Experience with Hispanic Poetry
- Student Unit Pre-AP Strategies for Spanish Literature
- Quevedo's 'Miré los muros de la patria mia': A Presentation
- José María Heredia: En una tempestad
- The Socio-Cultural Spaces of Quevedo's 'Miré los muros de la patria mía'
- Garcilaso y Góngora frente a frente: dos variantes de un mismo tema renacentista
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of Spanish Literature and Culture resources, including textbooks, web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June–August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Spanish Literature. These workshops, which occur at different sites from June through August, provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September–April: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Spanish Literature and Culture.
- To locate Summer Institutes and workshops and register, visit Professional Development for AP Spanish Literature and Culture Teachers.