This page now features the important information and resources you need to implement the redesigned AP Spanish Language and Culture course, which went into effect in fall 2013. AP Spanish Language and Culture course revisions integrate the national standards — Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, Communities.
Essential Course Resources
Key assets for understanding and teaching the redesigned course
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2013. Contains the curriculum framework and sample exam questions.
Course Overview (.pdf/505KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/2.11MB)
AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guides
Written by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP Spanish Language and Culture curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting), and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.17MB)
Ann H. Mar, Alamo Heights High School, TX
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.22MB)
Cathy Soud, The Bolles School, FL
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.28MB)
Brian Scott, Lake Zurich High School, IL
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.19MB)
Clarissa Adams Fletcher, Dunwoody High School, GA
Other Core Resources
- WebcastNew!: Developing a Unit of Instruction for the Redesigned Course
Narrated by master AP Spanish Language and Culture teacher Laura Zinke, this recorded presentation will explore strategies for teaching the redesigned AP Spanish Language and Culture course. Note: To view the webcast, you will need to use a browser with Flash plug-in installed and enabled.
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Open Forum 2013 (.pdf/1.5MB)
- Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century (.pdf/2.58MB)
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Frequently Asked Questions
- AP Spanish Language Development Committee
AP Exam Information and Resources
Beginning in May 2014, the revised AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam assesses student proficiencies in the Interpersonal, Interpretive, and Presentational modes of communication, as described in the AP Spanish Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2013 (.pdf/2.11MB).
A full Practice Exam reflecting the new course is available for all AP Spanish Language and Culture teachers in a secure location. Sign in to your course audit account for access.
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
(Note: the content in the following documents are valid; however, any references to the exam is not. It references the old exam)
College Board Store
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of Spanish Language and Culture resources, including web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom. Additional resources for can be found on the AP Spanish Language and Culture Teacher Community.
- June–August 2013: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Spanish Language and Culture. These workshops, which occur at different sites from June through August, will provide an in-depth look at the revised courses and exams.
- September–December 2013: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Spanish Language and Culture.
- To register, visit Professional Development for AP Spanish Language and Culture Teachers.
Background on Course and Exam Revisions
Many files on AP Central are saved in Adobe® PDF format. If you don't have Acrobat Reader 6.0 or higher installed on your computer, choose the link for the Adobe Acrobat Reader below.