Welcome, AP teachers! This page features the important information and resources you need to implement the AP Spanish Language and Culture course. The AP Spanish Language and Culture course integrates the National Standards — Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities.
Essential Course Resources
Key assets for understanding and teaching the redesigned course.
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2013.
Course Overview (.pdf/505KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/2.11MB)
AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guides
Written by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP Spanish Language and Culture curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting) and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.17MB)
Ann H. Mar, Alamo Heights High School, TX
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.22MB)
Cathy Soud, The Bolles School, FL
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.28MB)
Brian Scott, Lake Zurich High School, IL
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1.19MB)
Clarissa Adams Fletcher, Dunwoody High School, GA
Other Core Resources
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
Details the 2014 reviews and updates to the Standards.
- ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learners
Details the 2012 updates to the document previously known as the Performance Guidelines for K-12 Learners.
- Standards for Foreign Language Learning: Preparing for the 21st Century
Explores the five C's of language instruction.
- Webcast: Developing a Unit of Instruction for the Redesigned Course
Narrated by master AP Spanish Language and Culture teacher Laura Zinke, this recorded presentation will explore strategies for teaching the AP Spanish Language and Culture course. Note: To view the webcast, you will need to use a browser with Flash plug-in installed and enabled.
- AP Spanish Language and Culture Frequently Asked Questions
- AP Spanish Language Development Committee
AP Exam Information and Resources
The AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam assesses student proficiencies in the Interpersonal, Interpretive, and Presentational modes of communication, as described in the AP Spanish Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2013 (.pdf/2.11MB).
A full Practice Exam reflecting the course is available for all AP Spanish Language and Culture teachers in a secure location. Sign in to your course audit account for access.
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
(Note: the content in the following documents are valid; however, any references to the exam is not. It references the exam that was in place from 2007-2013)
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of Spanish Language and Culture resources, including web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom. Additional resources for can be found on the AP Spanish Language and Culture Teacher Community.
- June–August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Spanish Language and Culture. These workshops, which occur at different sites from June through August, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September–April: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Spanish Language and Culture.
- To locate Summer Institutions and workshops and register, visit Professional Development for AP Spanish Language and Culture Teachers.
Background on Course and Exam Revisions
College Board Store