This page now features the important information and resources you need to implement the AP Physics 1 course. This course, together with the AP Physics 2 course, replaces the AP Physics B course as of fall 2014. Through inquiry-based learning, AP Physics 1 students will develop critical thinking and reasoning skills, allowing them to cultivate their understanding of physics and science practices.
Essential Course Resources
- AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2014
Contains the curriculum framework and sample exam questions.
Course Overview (.pdf/1MB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/7MB)
- Sample Questions: AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 Exams (.pdf/1MB)
- Inquiry-Based Lab Investigations: Four Sample Labs
AP Physics 1 Course Planning and Pacing Guides
Written by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP Physics 1 curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting), and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP Physics 1 Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/5MB)
Becky Bundy, Madison County High School, GA
- AP Physics 1 Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/8MB)
Kelly Burke, Woodstock High School, GA
- AP Physics 1 Course Planning and Pacing Guide (.pdf/1MB)
Dolores Gende, Parish Episcopal School, TX
Other Core Resources
- AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- Inquiry Instruction in the AP Science Classroom
- AP Physics 1 Development Committee
- Science Practices
AP Exam Information and Resources
The AP Physics 1 Exam, which debuts in May 2015, will assess students' achievement of the AP Physics 1 learning objectives. Each learning objective combines the science practices with specific content, as described in the AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2014 (.pdf/7 MB).
A full Practice Exam reflecting the new course is available for all AP Physics 1 teachers in a secure location. Sign in to your course audit account for access.
- About the AP Physics 1 Exam
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
Course Content–Related Articles
College Board Store
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of Physics resources, including textbooks, Web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom. Additional resources can be found on the AP Physics Teacher Community.
- June–August 2014: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Physics 1 and 2. These workshops, which occur at different sites from June through August, will familiarize educators with the new courses and exams and offer guidance and strategies to support student success.
- September–December 2014: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Physics 1 and 2.
- To register, visit Professional Development for AP Physics Teachers
Background on Course and Exam Revisions
- An Overview of Course Revisions
- Key Changes for AP Physics 1 and 2: Examples
- AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 Expert Input
- Planning for the New AP Physics Courses
- AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2: An Overview of the Course Redesign (.mp4)
Many files on AP Central are saved in Adobe® PDF format. If you don't have Acrobat Reader 6.0 or higher installed on your computer, choose the link for the Adobe Acrobat Reader below.