Welcome, AP teachers! Here you'll find resources for teaching AP Music Theory, including engaging instructional materials, sample exam questions, and current course information.
Essential Course Resources
- AP Music Theory Course Description,
Effective Fall 2012
Course Overview (.pdf/730KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/973KB)
- AP Music Theory Teacher's Guide (.pdf/3.4MB)
Other Core Resources
- Music Theory Course Perspective
- AP Music Theory Development Committee
- AP Music Theory Credit and Placement Policies at Colleges and Universities
- AP Music Theory Programs by State
AP Exam Information and Resources
- AP Music Theory Exam Information
- Free AP Music Theory Practice Exam
- Comparing AP Music Theory Subscore Grades with the Composite Grade
- Free 1998 AP Music Theory Released Exam
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
Special Focus Materials
From Your AP Colleagues
Course Content — Related Articles
- Keyboard Harmony as an AP Music Theory Tool
- Reinforcing Written Theory with Aural Skills
- Sight-singing: Your ”Key” to Success in Melodic Dictation
- Music Theory: Some Notes on Teaching Score Analysis
- When Rules Seem Less Than Golden
- Interactive Technology in the Music Theory Classroom
- Popular Music in the Theory Classroom
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of teaching resources, including textbooks, Web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June — August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Music Theory. These workshops, at different sites throughout the country, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September — April: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Music Theory.
- To locate upcoming workshops and Summer Institutes and register, visit AP Central Professional Development.