Welcome, AP teachers! This page features the important information and resources you need to implement the AP Latin course. The AP Latin course promotes reading Latin poetry and prose with historical and literary sensitivity. Students develop linguistic skills by engaging in multiple activities, including translating poetry and prose from the required reading list. AP Latin is roughly equivalent to an upper-intermediate college or university course.
Essential Course Resources
- AP Latin Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2012 Course Overview (.pdf/1/17MB) | Full Course and Exam Description (.pdf/1.12MB)
AP Latin Course Planning and Pacing GuidesWritten by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP Latin curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting) and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP Latin Course Planning and Pacing Guide 1 (.pdf/2.0MB)
Keely Lake, Wayland Academy, WI
- AP Latin Course Planning and Pacing Guide 2 (.pdf/1.0MB)
Teri Kawamata, Loyola High School, CA
- AP Latin Course Planning and Pacing Guide 3 (.pdf/1.5MB)
Benjamin Johnson, Hampden Academy, ME
- AP Latin Course Planning and Pacing Guide 4 (.pdf/1.0MB)
David R. Pellegrino, Pittsford Mendon School, NY
Other Core Resources
- AP Latin Reading List
- AP Latin Frequently Asked Questions
- AP Latin Development Committee
- AP Latin Tutorial – This tutorial assists teachers in selecting appropriate Latin passages and writing effective multiple-choice items.
AP Exam Information and ResourcesThe AP Latin Exam assesses students' ability to read, comprehend, translate, and analyze Latin poetry and prose, both from the assigned readings (Vergil's Aeneid and Caesar's Gallic War) and from sight-reading passages. It will feature multiple-choice and free-response questions, as described in the AP Latin Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2012 (.pdf/1.0MB).
A full Practice Exam reflecting the new course is available for all AP Latin teachers in a secure location. Sign in to your course audit account for access.
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
Special Focus Materials
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of teaching resources, including textbooks, web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June–August: AP Summer Institutes were offered for AP Latin. These workshops, which occur at different sites from June through August, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September–April: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Latin.
- To locate Summer Institutes and workshops and register, visit Professional Development for AP Latin Teachers.