Essential Course ResourcesKey assets for understanding and teaching the course
- AP German Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2011.
Course Overview (.pdf/576KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/3MB)
- AP German Language and Culture and Exam Description Audio Files
AP German Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing GuidesWritten by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP German Language and Culture curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting) and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP German Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 1 (.pdf/825KB)
Juan Carlos Morales, Miami Palmetto High School, Fla.
- AP German Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 2 (.pdf/907KB)
Margaret Meyers, Mt. Lebanon High School, Pa.
- AP German Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 3 (.pdf/1MB)
Angelika Becker, Carmel High School, In.
- AP German Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 4 (.pdf/1MB)
Jamin Lynch, Independence High School, Ca.
Other Core Resources
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
Details the 2014 reviews and updates to the Standards.
- ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learners
Details the 2012 updates to the document previously known as the Performance Guidelines for K-12 Learners.
- Standards for Foreign Language Learning: Preparing for the 21st Century
Explores the five C's of language instruction.
- Validated Achievement Level Descriptions for AP French, German and Italian Language and Culture Exams
Provides descriptions of student performance on the exam in each of the modes of communication at each of the five AP score points.
- AP German Language and Culture Frequently Asked Questions
- AP German Language and Culture Development Committee
AP Exam Information and ResourcesThe AP German Language and Culture Exam assesses proficiency in all three modes of communication (Interpretive, Interpersonal, and Presentational) and features multiple-choice and free-response questions, as described in the AP German Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective 2011.
A Practice Exam with Notes is available at the Course Audit web site.
AP Course Audit Information
Classroom ResourcesA diverse selection of supplemental materials, including lesson plans and teaching strategies.
From the College Board
Special Focus Materials
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of German Language and Culture resources, including textbooks, websites, software and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June—August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP German Language and Culture. These workshops, at different sites throughout the country, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September—April: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP German Language and Culture.
- To locate Summer Institutes and workshops and register, visit AP Central Professional Development.