Welcome, AP teachers! Here you'll find resources for teaching AP Art History, including engaging instructional materials, sample exam questions, and current course information.
Essential Course Resources
- AP Art History Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2015
Course Overview (.pdf/1.1MB) | Full Course and Exam Description (.pdf/1.54MB)
- Download individual content sections of the AP Art History Course and Exam Description.
Course Planning and Pacing Guides
- AP Art History Course Planning and Pacing Guide, Gray (.pdf/476.71KB)
This course is taught at a private boarding and day high school where the teacher uses content-based activities to develop students' art historical thinking skills. The course begins with students analyzing modern and postmodern art followed by a chronological presentation highlighting
- AP Art History Course Planning and Pacing Guide, Nici (.pdf/537.5KB)
This course is taught in a public suburban high school during a compressed school year where the teacher focuses on group discussion and written critical reflection. Learning is inquiry-based, with students responding to questions like, "Who decides what we see in museums?"
- AP Art History Course Planning and Pacing Guide, Russell (.pdf/1.03MB)
This course is taught at an independent Episcopal school where the teacher emphasizes partner and group collaboration to develop visual literacy. Activities are designed to foster in-depth understanding and to help students connect new learning with prior knowledge and skills.
Other Core Resources
- SmartHistoryNEW! — Complete coverage of course content with links to additional resources
- AP Art History Frequently Asked Questions
- AP Art History Teacher's Guide (.pdf/1.8MB) - Note: This guide was developed in support of the course before it was redesigned in 2015, but it still provides relevant information for teaching AP Art History.
- AP Art History Development Committee
- AP Art History Credit and Placement Policies at Colleges and Universities
- AP Art History Programs by State
AP Exam Information and Resources
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
Special Focus Materials
From Your AP Colleagues
Course Content – Related Articles
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of teaching resources, including textbooks, Web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June–August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP Art History. These workshops, at different sites throughout the country, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September–May: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Art History.
- To locate Summer Institutes and workshops and register, visit AP Central Professional Development.
Background on Course and Exam Redesign
College Board Store
AP Art History Teacher Community
Are You a Student?