Welcome, AP teachers! Here you'll find resources for teaching AP French Language and Culture, including engaging instructional materials, sample exam questions, and current course information.
Essential Course ResourcesKey assets for understanding and teaching the course
- AP French Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2011.
Course Overview (.pdf/545KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/2.5MB)
- AP French Language and Culture Course and Exam Description Audio Files
AP French Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing GuidesWritten by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP French Language and Culture curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting) and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- French Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 1 (.pdf/2.0MB)
Davara Potel, Solon High School, Ohio — This course is taught at a suburban public high school where the teacher emphasizes the importance of cooperative activities, independent work, and creative projects.
- French Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 2 (.pdf/2.0MB)
Deanna Scheffer, St. Johns Country Day School, Fla. — This course is taught at a suburban private high school where the teacher uses a holistic approach to teaching language proficiency through interdisciplinary topics and assesses students with integrated performance tasks.
- French Language and Culture Course Planning and Pacing Guide 3 (.pdf/870KB)
Eliane Kurbegov, Discovery Canyon Campus High School, Colo. — This course is taught at a suburban public high school where students show varying levels of French proficiency, some having attended bilingual schools or immersion programs. The teacher emphasizes differentiated instruction and communicative projects based on authentic materials.
Other Core Resources
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
Details the 2014 reviews and updates to the Standards.
- ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learners
Details the 2012 updates to the document previously known as the Performance Guidelines for K-12 Learners.
- Standards for Foreign Language Learning: Preparing for the 21st Century
Explores the five C's of language instruction.
- Validated Achievement Level Descriptions for AP French, German and Italian Language and Culture Exams
Provides descriptions of student performance on the exam in each of the modes of communication at each of the five AP score points.
- AP French Language and Culture Frequently Asked Questions
- AP French Language and Culture Development Committee
AP Exam Information and ResourcesThe AP French Language and Culture Exam assesses proficiency in all three modes of communication (Interpretive, Interpersonal, and Presentational) and features multiple-choice and free-response questions, as described in the AP French Language and Culture Course and Exam Description, Effective 2011.
A Practice Exam with Notes is available at the Course Audit web site.
- About the AP French Language and Culture Exam
- La Nouvelle Orthographe on the AP French Language and Culture Exam
AP Course Audit Information
Classroom ResourcesA diverse selection of supplemental materials, including lesson plans and teaching strategies
From the College Board
Reviews of Teaching Resources
Visit Teachers' Resources for more than 250 reviews of French Language and Culture instructional supports, including textbooks, websites and software. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways to use it in the classroom.
- June—August: AP Summer Institutes are offered for AP French Language and Culture. These workshops, at different sites around the country, will provide an in-depth look at the course and exam.
- September—April: One-day Professional Development workshops are offered for AP French Language and Culture.
- To locate Summer Institutes and workshops and register, visit AP Central Professional Development.
College Board Store