Essential Course Resources
- AP Biology Course and Exam Description
Course Overview (.pdf/555KB) | Full Course Description (.pdf/5.5MB)
- AP Biology Lab Manual Resource Center
Information, links, and resources relating to the AP Biology lab manual. Includes downloadable PDF of AP Investigative Labs: An Inquiry-Based Approach.
- AP Biology Quantitative Skills Guide (.pdf/3.9MB)
Contains an overview of the quantitative skills included in the course, and on the exam. Provides numerous links to online activities.
AP Biology Course Planning and Pacing GuidesWritten by AP teachers, these versatile guides demonstrate a variety of ways to plan and pace the AP Biology curriculum across one academic year. Each author brings a unique perspective to approaching the course based on his or her teaching context (e.g., demographics, schedule, school type, setting), and presents a host of ideas for activities, resources, and assessments.
- AP Biology Course Planning and Pacing Guide 1 (.pdf/1.5MB)
Teresa Massey, Elizabeth Andrews High School, GA
- AP Biology Course Planning and Pacing Guide 2 (.pdf/1.5MB)
Ed Braddy, J.W. Mitchell High School, FL
- AP Biology Course Planning and Pacing Guide 3 (.pdf/1.5MB)
Elizabeth Carzoli, Castle Park High School, CA
- AP Biology Course Planning and Pacing Guide 4 (.pdf/1.5MB)
Julianne M. Zedalis, The Bishop's School, CA
Other Core Resources
- CB Standards for Science Success
- AP Biology Frequently Asked Questions
- AP Biology Development Committee
- Biology Textbook Correlations (.pdf/770KB)
- Inquiry Instruction in the AP Science Classroom (.pdf/48KB)
AP Exam Information and ResourcesBeginning in May 2013, the revised AP Biology Exam assesses understanding of biological principles, content, and concepts in combination with science practices. The revised exam continues to feature multiple-choice and free-response questions; however, a new grid-in question type and short free-response questions is included, as described in the AP Biology Course and Exam Description, Effective Fall 2015 ( .pdf/5.5MB).
Visit, A Guide to Demonstrating Understanding on the revised AP Biology Exam for additional support. April, 2014
A full Practice Exam reflecting the new course is available for all AP Biology teachers in a secure location. Sign in to your course audit account for access.
AP Course Audit Information
From the College Board
Special Focus Materials
From Your AP Colleagues
- AP Biology Demonstrations
- Hands-On Activities
Course Content—Related Articles
- The Evolution-Creationism Continuum in College Biology Classrooms
- Achieving Gender Equality in the Science Classroom
- Gastrulation: Shaping the Embryo
- Mendel's Legacy
- Milestones for Women in Science
- DNA and Computers—A Marriage Made in Heaven
- Causes and Consequences of the Black Death—A Reappraisal
- Rosalind Franklin: She's Worth Another Look
- AP Biology Readers Revisit Mitotic Spindle Formation
College Board Store
Reviews of Teaching Resources
There are currently more than 250 reviews of Biology resources, including textbooks, web sites, software, and more, in the Teachers' Resources area. Each review describes the resource and suggests ways it might be used in the classroom.
- June–August: AP Summer Institutes were offered for AP Biology. These workshops, which occur at different sites from June through August, will provide an in-depth look at the revised courses and exams.
- September–December: One-day Professional Development Workshops are offered for AP Biology.
- To register, visit Professional Development for AP Biology Teachers.
Background on Course and Exam Revisions
- Consortium of Experts (.pdf/349KB)
- Key Goals of Course Revisions (.pdf/140KB)
- Higher Education Validation for Biology (.pdf/378KB)
Many files on AP Central are saved in Adobe® PDF format. If you don't have Acrobat Reader 6.0 or higher installed on your computer, choose the link for the Adobe Acrobat Reader below.