Alternate AP Exam policies
Occasionally it is necessary for students to test late. To preserve the security of AP Exams, alternate forms are used. All students who participate in late testing at a given school must take these alternate exams on the scheduled late-testing dates at the scheduled times. Early testing is not permitted under any circumstances.
Ordering exams for late testing
- Consult the late-testing schedule for the complete list of dates.
- Alternate exams for late testing must be ordered online. Visit AP Exam Ordering.
- Schools are encouraged to place orders for alternate exams as early as possible.
Late testing: no additional fee
A late-testing fee will not be charged for circumstances that are beyond the control of school officials and students. Here are some general examples:
- Conflict with International Baccalaureate (IB) exam
- Conflict with tests that are mandated at the state, province, or national level
- Disabilities or accommodation issues
- Emergency: bomb scare or fire alarm
- Emergency: serious injury, illness, or family tragedy
- Language lab scheduling conflict
- Religious holiday/observance
- School closing: election, national holiday, or natural disaster
- Strike/labor conflict
- Three or more AP Exams on the same date
- Two AP Exams on the same date and time
Late testing: with fees*
A $45 fee will be charged for schools and students that have a choice between accepting the scheduled date and requesting an alternate date. The fee is used to partially defray costs of developing, scoring, and shipping these alternate exams. Here are some of those examples:
- Academic contest/event
- Athletic contest/event
- Conflict with non-AP and non-IB exam
- Family commitment
- Ordering error
- Other school event
- School closing (local decision, non-emergency)
*Students who qualify for College Board fee reductions will not incur the $45 charge if alternate testing is required for one of these reasons.
Should you have an exceptional circumstance not covered in the list, contact AP Services at 212-632-1781 or 877-274-6474 (toll-free in the United States and Canada).
More facts about late testing
- Alternate exams are equivalent in depth and difficulty to the regularly scheduled exams.
- Students’ scores may be delayed up to one month (until August). Make sure your students know this.
- Students’ free-response booklets from alternate exams are not available for purchase.
- AP Instructional Planning Reports do not include data from alternate exams.
- If a school fails to follow AP security procedures and does not administer the alternate exams on the specified dates at the specified times, scores for those exams will be canceled, and the school may be prohibited from offering AP Exams in the future.