Exam Overview (for the 2016 Exam and beyond)
AP EUROPEAN HISTORY EXAM: 3 HOURS 15 MINUTES
The AP Exam questions measure students' knowledge of European history and their ability to think historically. Questions are based on key and supporting concepts, course themes, and historical thinking skills.
For a video overview of the exam, watch part 3 of the Course Overview Modules for AP European History Teachers.
Format of Assessment
Section I: Part A Multiple Choice | 55 Questions | 55 Minutes | 40% of Exam Score
- Questions appear in sets of 2–5.
- Students analyze historical texts, interpretations, and evidence.
- Primary and secondary sources, images, graphs, and maps are included.
Section I: Part B Short Answer | 4 Questions | 50 Minutes | 20% of Exam Score
- Questions provide opportunities for students to demonstrate what they know best.
- Some questions include texts, images, graphs, or maps.
Section II: Part A Document Based | 1 Question | 55 Minutes (includes 15 minute reading period) | 25% of Exam Score
- Analyze and synthesize historical data.
- Assess written, quantitative, or visual materials as historical evidence.
Section II: Part B Long Essay | 1 Question | 35 Minutes | 15% of Exam Score
- Students select one question among two.
- Explain and analyze significant issues in European history.
- Develop an argument supported by an analysis of historical evidence.
Sample Exam Questions
For sample exam questions, refer to the AP European History Course and Exam Description. You can also access a full practice exam with student samples and scoring commentary by logging in to your AP Course Audit account.
An additional set of sample exam questions, originally published in the fall 2013 curriculum framework, is available in Sample Questions: AP European History Exam (.pdf/1.95MB).
These documents have all been updated to reflect the changes to the rubrics and skills. To learn more about the changes, download the updated rubrics and skills (.pdf/555KB), and watch this presentation.
Below are free-response questions from past AP European History Exams.
If you require an accessible version of any documents on this page, please e-mail Accessibility@collegeboard.org. We will respond to your e-mail within 3 business days.
2016: Free-Response Questions
|Questions||Student Performance||Samples, Scoring Guidelines, and Commentary||Score Distributions|
Past Free-Response Questions
The College Board provides free-response questions from past AP European History Exams. Included with the questions are scoring guidelines, sample student responses, and commentary on those responses, as well as exam statistics and the Student Performance Q&A (Chief Reader's Report) for the May 2015 administrations and before.